Wednesday 10 June 2015

Helping to build bridges

2 years ago, I flew to Banyuwangi, the eastern-most city on the island of Java to officially open a new YCAB Rumah Belajar (learning centre). 

During Berlariterus' Bali to Jakarta shuffle, I gained great heart from the support I received from this part of Java. The encouragement outside Banyuwangi helped at a particularly low point in my run - not feeling my best, the sad passing of a good friend and the daunting realisation that I still had 1,000 tropical kms to go. 

It was therefore decided we should target a portion of the funds raised for a learning centre in this region. After considerable due diligence, YCAB decided to team up with an established local partner in a village on the road from Banyuwangi to Jember. 

Within days of it opening, the centre had 190 kids enrolled, all from disadvantaged backgrounds. The centre is open 7 days, from morning to night - and I am happy report classes are still full across the entire week. 

My apologies for the name given to the Rumah Belajar, it was out of my control, honestly. However, the most important thing is that kids in this village were, and are still getting access to information technology and gaining computer skills, which will undoubtedly broaden their learning and help them reach their full potential. 


Another 3 learning centres (1 in Bali and 2 in Java) were established by YCAB with the sponsorship funds we raised. To all those that generously supported Berlariterus, once again, thank YOU. 

Yours, Becakterus

No comments:

Post a Comment