Sunday 7 June 2015

Becakterus Challenge - Banda Aceh to Jakarta

Here in Indonesia, becaks (as I mentioned earlier) are a widely used form of transport - a traditional and valued part of life outside of big cities. 

The challenge will be to pedal my becak from Banda Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra, to Jakarta the capital city in Java. This journey is approximately 2,600 kms, and allegedly all downhill! Starting on the 24th of September, I'll travel from the northern hemisphere, across the equator, and drop into the southern hemisphere. Crossing the equator will be very close to my half point.


Therefore, the ride will take me down the length of one of the largest islands in the world, Sumatra - and hopefully further than the current Guinness World Record for the 'Longest Journey by a Rickshaw'Going after the record is a necessary promotional evil, in order to help generate as much interest as possible in the challenge. 








I will set out to try and beat the current record set by Tim Ross in 2010, where in the UK he pedalled 1,378 kms in 25 days (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-journey-by-rickshaw). I will attempt to pedal my becak (The Flying Merah-Putih) almost twice as far in the tropics, and hopefully complete my challenge in fewer days. The terrain is hilly and I've also been advised that sections of the Trans-Sumatra road will require some caution because of its condition.



As a boy I loved to read this wonderful publication, and I would be lying to say that I didn't love the idea of somehow appearing within its pages. But that was back then. Today, decades on, and firmly ensconced in my bald(ing) years, I can happily let the next edition of this great book pass me by.

Hopefully, a few months from now and with a bit of luck, I'll be content with my efforts. But as far as accolades go, I'll be happy to leave the record with Tim. For whatever the outcome, we will have helped to raise the profile of 4 wonderful organisations within my community, that make a massive difference to the lives of many children and their families.

If you feel you can offer any support, in any shape or form, please do get in touch. Thank you.

Much love, Becakterus





4 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to us all, Scott! Wishing you all the best with your amazing challenge, and here's hoping you inspire many people to donate to the great causes you are supporting through this initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Tessa:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw you today, pedalling with full of strength on that Red and White ride. Quite hot outside. Good luck with your goal Scott! Thanks for bringing my country up with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks Aisyah, great to have your support!

    ReplyDelete