Monday 10 August 2015

Basement care and maintenance


The focus over the past couple of months has been on conditioning my 'points of contact' whilst perched on the becak. It will be long days on my ride south from Banda Aceh, and the biggest area of concern, naturally, will be my largest point of contact - an area that is a long time pampered with Johnson's soft scented baby wipes and baby powder (TMI, I know). 


During all my training runs, 'things' have held up fine and dandy for the first 6 hours or so, but past that my resolve is tested. For after the first 5 minutes, 'things' are damp from sweat, and stay that way until you finally have had enough. 




Therefore managing saddle sores in the tropics will be critical. Now, Slip-slop-slap is a well known sun protection campaign from Australia; which we can now extend to an area where the sun rarely shines (if at all). Knowing a couple of keen cyclist, Becakterus turned to Big Al and Andy Boy for some sound advice, and both were quick to offer to 2 sound maxims: 1), apply hunners (lots) and mean hunners (loads) of chamois cream and 2), when you think you've applied enough, go on and slap some more on. 
Between Becakterus and the anti-friction soothing cream, I'll be wearing top notch bib shorts, which have been provided along with other apparel by the UK's top cycle clothing firm - Endura. Becakterus met up with the man behind 'Born in Scotland - Ridden Worldwide', Jim MacFarlane, and he very generously agreed to support my challenge. Thank you Endura and Jim for supporting Becakterus with all the necessary gear.



"Endura sponsors two professional cycle racing teams, Movistar and NetApp-Endura (making it the first clothing brand to have its name on the Tour de France team sheet), and takes constant feedback from the riders trying out new products for it." As well as Endura's visibility in this year's Tour de France (and now in Sumatra;)), they also provide ongoing sponsorship to a number of athletes http://www.endurasport.com/sponsorship/athletes/ - including the likes of Danny MacAskill. See Danny doing his thing in the video below.  



Like Indonesia, Scotland is a beautiful land and will forever hold a very special place in my heart (if you haven't been to either, you're missing out). Which brings me back to my biggest area of concern re largest 'point of contact'. On my trip back to Scotland last month, I did something I doubt I'll ever do again (never say never though), which was to hand carry my trusty saddle to and from Scotland. My phone and saddle never left my side on the 28,000 km round trip. Sounds odd, but I felt it was the right thing to do under the circumstances. Furthermore, between now and the start on 28th September, if it feels like it, the saddle that is - gets to sleep with Becakterus.



Ok folks, over and out. Catch up again soon. 

48 days to go:-/ Becakterus 

No comments:

Post a Comment